Thursday, September 17, 2009

Infant Safety

So today was not my favorite day thus far of the year. The morning was fine-- B and I were enjoying each other's company. She is walking all over the house now and I am still getting used to how much quieter walking is from crawling! AND FASTER. So she made it over to the dog dish. It got very quiet and I went over and she had 6 pieces of dog food in her mouth. I proceeded to start to pull the pieces out, and then suddenly she coughed, then did the silent cough-gag thing where there was no sound. I don't know how I did it, but I flipped her over and did 3 back blows and the dog food came flying out. She started crying... I held her (shaking seriously...) and told her it was okay. She cuddled and after 2 minutes was ready to go play again.. while I felt like I could throw up! Needless to say, I am very happy she is fine and that I reacted well. But due to these events today, I thought I would post up this information for my fellow mothers out there.


Info from: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/frs-safe/resources/parents/infantheimlich.asp

Determine if the infant can cry or cough.
If your infant is choking and cannot cough, cry or breathe, follow these instructions.

Illustration showing how to perform the Infant Heimlich Maneuver
  1. Give 5 back blows.
    Place your baby facedown on your forearm and grip their jaw with your hand. Rest your arm on your leg. With the heel of your other hand, give the child five forceful and rapid blows between his/her shoulder blades.
  2. Give 5 chest thrusts.
    If the object does not dislodge, turn the baby to face upward and resting on your thigh. With your index and middle fingers on the center of his/her breast bone (just below the nipples), give him/her five chest thrusts one half inch to three quarters of an inch deep). Alternate between back blows and chest thrusts until he/she coughs up the object or begins to breathe on his/her own.
  3. Look in the mouth to check if you can see the object.
    If you can see the object remove it carefully with your finger.
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 above until the object is expelled or the infant becomes unconscious.
    If the infant becomes unresponsive, perform CPR and call 911. If you see an object in the throat or mouth, remove it carefully.



I suppose you can never be too careful.


In other news... here was my workout today, for those of you who like to know.

TRAINING: Legs & Abs

Stationary Lunge: 20#/15r, 25#/12r, 30#/10r, 40#/8r x 2 sets
DB Deadlift: 40#/15r, 50#/12r, 60#/10r, 70#/8r x 2sets
Jump Squats 4X10

Stability ball crunch with cable weight: 15#/20r, 20#/15r, 30#/12r x 2 sets
Reverse bench crunch: 4X 15
BOSU burpees: 4X 10

Wide Stance Squat: 30#/15r, 35#/12r, 40#/10r, 45#/8r x 2 sets
BOSU jump squat overs w/ 10# DB: 4 X 10

Med Ball Twists: 3 X 15
Crunches: 3 X15

CARDIO: 40 minutes Turbokick

No comments:


BKD Designs