Monday, May 18, 2009

Time Saving Tips for Staying Healthy

Many times what keeps us from living a healthy lifestyle is time. There just isn't enough of it. If I had a penny for everytime a client told me they "didn't have time" to workout, or "didn't have time" to make a meal at home, I think I would be a very rich woman! I do not expect us to workout everyday or always eat at home... thats not realistic, nor is it very much fun! I enjoy eating out as much as the next guy, and I most certainly enjoy my rest days of laying around like a bum on the couch with my dogs and family! But ... using the "I never have enough time" excuse does run out... here are some time saving tips for you and your family:

1. Always keep pre-washed salad greens in your refrigerator. When in a pinch, you can alwayus have a salad; or add it to a meal for some vegetables to be added! I've also gotten in the habit of eating a salad if I'm in that "ravenous" mode while dinner cooks. Much better than polishing off half a bag of Sun Chips...

2. Cook up big meals once a week and save them; eat leftovers! Leftovers save our family. I always make extra, especially meat when I make dinner so Jerry and I can both have lunch the next day without thinking about it.

3. Learn to love your crockpot. Seriously.

4. Prepare chopped veggies one a week and keep them in ziplock baggies in the fridge. Same goes for fresh cut up fruit.

5. Can't fit a trip into the gym? Get up during the day and take a 20 minute walk.

6. Have a bag of nuts and/or a cheese stick available for "on-the-go" snacks. If we are going to be out and about running errands on a Saturday, I keep a baggie  of nuts and stuff in the car. This helps keep my hunger in check and provides a nutritious snack.

7. When you go out to eat, take half your meal home and you have a meal for the next day.

8. Have you seen those Steamfresh vegetables in the frozen section yet? Seriously, they are always on sale, and EASY to cook. It only takes like 5 minutes for fresh yummy vegetables. If you are a frozen-meal junkie (aka Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones) add a serving of these vegetables to your meal. Many more nutrients added plus more filling (I don't know about you, but 5 ravioli just doesn't do it for me..."

9. Buy canned tuna and/or chicken. Its easy to grab and travel with for lunches on the go.

10. Have a dozen eggs? Hard boil half of the dozen at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. Makes easy, quick snacks. 

Do you have good time-saving tips to add to the list to help families stay healthy? If so, comment and let us know! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your tips!
Found you on MBC


BKD Designs